Giving birth to a healthy baby is the most cherished wish for any parent. To ensure that, they reach all the extent to check the health and well-being of the unborn baby. Thanks to modern technology and modern prenatal screening, it has become easy to detect all kinds of medical issues in the fetus.
Importance of Checking Down Syndrome Symptoms:
Checking the signs of down syndrome through proper screening is an important medical requirement that parents need to follow. It is a very important prenatal genetic testing process which can help the parents detect the earlier signs of this medical condition. It is completely non-invasive and highly accurate and can clearly depict the fetus’ health.
More About Down Syndrome:
Before going for a down syndrome screening in Kolkata, parents should have a clear knowledge of the syndrome itself. It is a genetic disorder that affects a person with an extra chromosome. Human babies are generally born with 46 chromosomes. The extra chromosome causes an imbalance, which is medically termed ‘trisomy’.
Features of Down Syndrome in Individuals:95% of people with down syndrome are affected by trisomy. Though the affected individuals may be different from one another, they may show some similar physical features, like:
- Flattened Face
- Smaller Ears
- Shorter Height
- Smaller Limbs (Hand and feet)
- Delays in Intellectual Assimilation and Speech
Non-Invasive Prenatal Tests for Down Syndrome:
Routine screening is necessary to prevent their child from getting affected by such a complex disease. It is an important part of prenatal care, which includes different steps. The screening requires a diagnostic test, which may determine the presence of an extra chromosome in the fetus. It includes the extraction of genetic samples through medical procedures, like:
- Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS): The medic extracts cells from the placenta. The procedure is generally performed between 10 and 13 weeks of pregnancy. The procedure carries a very low chance of miscarriage.
- Percutaneous Umbilical Blood Sampling (PUBS): In this procedure, a blood sample is collected from the umbilical cord. It is one of the most accurate prenatal tests to determine down syndrome. The test has to be done once the mother reaches their second trimester.
- Amniocentesis Sampling: It is a sample collected from amniotic fluid, which is taken with the help of a needle from the uterus. It is carried out after the 15th week of pregnancy.
With this medical testing procedure, one can understand if their fetus is facing healthy growth. To get better assistance in down syndrome screening in Kolkata, you can communicate with Institute of Fetal Medicine. They are a trusted establishment that can perform a wide range of non-invasive prenatal tests.