A test that applies sound waves to analyze a baby’s heart before birth is known as Fetal Echocardiography. This test is performed during the second session of pregnancy, which is between 18 to 24 weeks. And, it is done through the vagina or on the belly.
Fetal echocardiography can track any heart issues prior to birth. It allows doctors to check the flow of blood via the fetus’s heart. This lets them assure whether there are any abnormalities in the baby’s heartbeat. If any issue is found earlier, the treatment will work more efficiently.
Why fetal echocardiography is important?
Fetal echo provides the following advantages:
- In some cases, doctors can treat the issue prior to birth
- Doctors can get ready for unexpected issues that may arise during labor and delivery
- Doctors can able to schedule an early delivery
- The treatment can proceed once the baby is born
Reasons you should undergo this treatment
When it comes to the below-mentioned conditions, doctors recommend this treatment:
- You already have a child with a heart defect
- You have a family history of genetic heart issues
- There is a genetic issue in the fetus
- You have consumed drugs during your pregnancy
- You take medicines that can cause congenital heart problems. (medicines used for anxiety, seizures, and acne)
- You have lupus, diabetes, or phenylketonuria
- Your baby is showing signs of too slow, fast, or irregular heartbeats
- You conceived at an advanced age
- The fetal ultrasound is showing signs of abnormalities
What happens during the treatment?
This treatment or test is performed by a trained maternal-fetal medicine specialist, pediatric cardiologist, radiologist, or obstetrician. Usually, the steps are as follows:
- You have to lie down on a table without changing your clothes
- The healthcare provider will use gel on your belly
- The healthcare provider will make use of an electric device known as a transducer to send sound waves
- The provider will move the device around to capture the best fetal heart images
- The gel is wiped off once the test is done
If you are a pregnant woman and want the best fetal care, then look no further than Institute Of Fetal Medicine. We have the best team of experts in Kolkata who can perform timely tests to evaluate problems (if any) on both you and your baby to facilitate the best possible treatment.